Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fish and Fiber!!


This week’s “Made to Crave ACTION Plan” challenge was to #EatSmart by focusing on fish and fiber. In our week’s video, I was quite moved by Dr. Ski Chilton's reflection on John 6, the passage in which Jesus feeds 5,000 with...remember this…5 barley loaves and 2 fish.

Seriously?!?!

Barley loaves and fish!! Jesus fed the masses with barley loves and fish…the very omega-3 and fiber filled foods that we are learning can
  • decrease inflammation
  • prevent heart disease
  • protect against diabetes
  • slow the aging process
  • reduce depression
  • sustain satiation
How interesting to think that the bible supports healthy eating in yet another way! My mind was already blown with my previous reflections on the role food played in the Initial Fall, the Wandering Israelites, theTemptation of Christ, and the Final Revelation. Having further scriptural support of the Made to Crave ACTION plan....it's just incredible! What an unbelievable, miraculous God!

So about that fish and fiber! Here’s some foods I stocked up on while prepare for Dr. Chilton's "Fish/Fiber" challenge. There’s tons of omega-3 in the frozen salmon, canned salmon, and ahi tuna (prepared below!!!). I also bought some fiber-filled-funness. Check out the pumpkin flax cereal (5g of fiber per serving), slivered almonds (4g), sandwich skinnys (5g…AND only 100 calories per loaf!), fiber cereal bars (8g for the regular bars and 2g for the low cal version), and lentil soup (2g).

Now for the dinner pick! It was an omega-3 and fiber-filled supper, capitalizing on the asian’s flavors of tuna, sesame, brown rice, avocado, and asparagus. Here's the menu, recipe links, and a picture of the final presentation! 

I gotta tell ya, ladies. Cooking this meal really took me back. Some of you may not know, but I LOVE cooking. Much of my recent dependence on food stemmed from a true passion for cooking and consuming beautiful meals. In 2012, I actually completed a cooking project called the "Year of the Food Rainbow". Each month, I cooked a special 4-5 course meals focused on a single color! There was Floral White February, Jet Black July, Scarlet SeptemberNavy November…and the list goes on!

Cooking this meal tonight…it brought back that joy! The fun of planning, prepping, and presenting a beautiful dish! The pleasure in watching others enjoy their supper and the fellowship fostered by sitting down and eating the meal around a shared table.

But this round...on this Made to Crave "Journey with Jesus"...there was an extra sense of peace. A tranquility that can only come from knowing the thrill of cooking, eating, and sharing food is NOT my primary purpose or pleasure. An assurance that these delights come FROM God but can never REPLACE God. A confidence that...when I keep these priorities aligned...all sources of earthly happiness can serve to glorify God and reflect His own eternal joy. 


16 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB, Miriam!! Your picture of your dinner plate looks DELICIOUS and the colors are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us today!

    In His love,
    Pat (OBS Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dinner plate, look so Yummy, thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam,
    Thank you so much for your blog!
    I, too, was fascinated when Dr. Chilton mentioned the 5 loaves & 2 fish as relating to our study... What a great reflection of the perfect meal - one that Jesus served!

    You've done an a lot of work to ensure your family eats well! The tuna on your plate has me salivating :) The only tuna I ever serve comes from a can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking this is surprising simply!!! Check out the recipe links...YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing! This looks so delicious and it is such a beautiful plate. It makes me excited to start planning how to add fish & fiber to our weekly meals. My family is in for a treat! I especially love your last sentence.......A confidence that...when I keep these priorities aligned...all sources of earthly happiness can serve to glorify God and reflect His own eternal joy. Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...you're family is in for treat! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Wow, Thank you for sharing!! That tuna looks SO delicious!!

    Nancy S (Small Group Leader/Prayer Warrior Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly recommended and surprisingly easy :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I can relate, Miriam--I love cooking, too. Through these M2C Bible studies though, I've learned that cooking and serving it to others is a passion and talent the Lord has blessed me with, but it can't be my identity. Your last paragraph perfectly expresses how I feel. Blessings to you, sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let's keep our priorities straight and watch God use these passions for a greater purpose!

      Delete
  7. Miriam! That is stunning just stunning. I am blown away myself about how clearly God really has offered us help and direction even down to the food in our belly. Your tuna dish looks lovely though I'll be honest, I have never been able to eat tuna that way. How do you know when it is done? Thanks for sharing the inspiration. I love this study! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry!!! As long as the tuna is fresh, you could eat it completely raw! I just seared this about 1 minute on each side. Delicious. I LOVE THIS STUDY too :)

      Delete
  8. I have been eating that same cereal this week! It really helps to get the fiber in. I loved when he brought up the fish and loaves in the video too! What a fantastic way to make his point. Your meal is beautiful! I'm so impressed :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't cracked open the cereal yet. Glad to hear it's yummy!!

      Delete