Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sanctifying Sacrifice

I’m not on a diet, I’m on a journey with Jesus to learn the fine art of self-discipline for the purpose of holiness”. 
Lysa Terkheurst, Made to Crave

I have often referred to the bible as a love letter. Christians boldly share that “God so loved the world” and Jesus would have died even if you were the only one to save. Of course, these are true! But somewhere in the church clichés, I forgot that Scripture is not just an archetypal story of universal salvation. The Word addresses EACH of my needs in a unique and powerful way.

Imagine my refreshing surprise when…over the last 6weeks of reading Made to Crave…I have seen a new theme arise across the entire bible. A theme that specifically tackles my issues with food.

At the very beginning of time and humanity,
Eve was tempted by FOOD!

Genesis 3:6 – “When the woman saw the fruit of the tree
 was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also
desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it”.

In the Old Testament under the Old Covenant,
the Israelites’ struggle with food sent them
wandering in the desert for 40 long years!

 Psalms 78:18 – “They willfully put God to the test 
by demanding the food they craved”.

In the New Testament, as Jesus prepares for ministry 
and ushers in the New Law, Christ defeats Satan's
temptation after a redemptive 40 day fast!

John 4:34 – “ ‘My food,’ said Jesus, ‘is to do the 
will of him who sent me and to finish his work.’ ”

In Revelation, God’s shares a vision of His promise and plan;
sure enough, there’s more mention of victory with food!

Revelation 2:7 – “To him who overcomes, 
I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, 
which is the paradise of God”.

After years of calling the bible a “love letter” (and calling myself a Christ-follower), it took joining this Made to Crave journey for me to see how the message of God’s hope addresses EVERY human issue…even my struggles with food.

You see – it’s not really about food anyway. It’s not as simple as replacing donuts with carrots. It’s about ALL the things that have, can, or will consume my heart more than Christ.

When I intimately understand food cravings 
but have to stop and ask if I’ve ever truly yearned for God… 
there is a problem!

When I spend hours chatting with old friends 
but rarely squeeze in a quiet moment of prayer or praise…
there is a problem!

When hours of Facebook-scrolling or Netlflix-marathoning 
are more appealing that time spent in the Word…
there is a problem!

The promise of Revelation 2:7 is for those who overcome. Overcome what...not to mention how? For me…in this season of life…the initial struggle was loosing a child and turning to food rather than Christ. It was only once I reached the end of my own effort that I began to see God’s fingerprints redeeming the loss and drawing me to Him. As Lysa wrote: “it is good for God’s people to be put in a place of longing so they feel slight desperation. Only then can we be empty enough and open enough to discover the holiness we were made for.”
 
In another season, there will be other trials and temptations. But this Made to Crave experience has reminded me of the bigger process and the deeper plan. Yes – the bible is a letter about love…but remember that His love calls us to purity and then fans the refining flames.

Dear friends, whether your current idol is the call of cake, the lure of lust, or the magnetism of money - - take hope! We are on a life-long journey of redemption...a beautiful transformation from sinner to saint! But chiseling a masterpiece is hard work. Deep cleaning always looks messier in the process. Sometimes it may feel like two step forward and another back. Keep faith! Eyes on the prize! Triumph lies in your very next choice!

“One wise choice can lead to two, can lead to three, can lead to a thousand, can lead to the sweet place of utter dependence on God and lasting discipline”. 
Lysa Terkheurst, Made to Crave

Victory is about intentional sacrifice that chooses long-term gain over short-term loss. Overcoming is really just a series of small sanctifying surrenders. So while our Made To Crave study has drawn to end, our God is just getting started!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks! You words were what I needed early this morning. I never thought of it, that Jesus would have died even if it was only me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful...and TRUE...SO true...thought about our Jesus! God bless ~ Miriam

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love when Lysa said we are not on a diet we are on a journey with Jesus! How sweet that is! I really love how you laid out the theme of food in the Bible. I am going to write this in my MTC journal. I am so sorry you had to endure the pain of losing a child, but Miriam I am so thankful you have drawn closer to God in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya ~ thank you for your sweet encouragement. "I can't remember a trial or a pain he did not recycle to bringing me gain" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLfQ05Otk0). Of course, I am still sad and broken about our child. But it is amazing to see God's redemptive work - even in such suffering.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your blog post today, Miriam. I can tell when what you have written that God is healing your pain with His unending love. He is drawling you closer as you #CraveGod and are #Courageous in faithfulness to Him.

    Blessings my sister,
    Barbara P (P31 OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in my journey, Barbara!!

      Delete
  4. "Redeeming the loss" I so agree! We are redeemed by a living and loving God who cares about each and every small detail. Hope is a beautiful thing! I also refer to being redeemed in my blog this week. Sister, God is speaking to us in beautiful ways! Prayers for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read your post now!! I've really enjoyed sharing with you in this study. God bless ~ Miriam

      Delete
  5. "It’s about ALL the things that have, can, or will consume my heart more than Christ." So true, Miriam! Loved your post today!! Rescued and Redeemed!
    Thank you for sharing your heart!

    Michelle
    (sweetandsour365.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle ~ Thanks for dropping by again!! I've really enjoyed your encouragement throughout this journey!

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love this Miriam! Beautiful words and encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed that God is speaking to you today! Have a great week! ~ Miriam

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thank you for facilitating the blog hop!! God has really used them to speak to me during this journey. Very stretching!

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Miriam, for tying so many things together; my favorite part is this: "Overcoming is really just a series of small, sanctifying surrenders."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAROL!! That's was my favorite line to write this week!!! It's become my "Mantra" today and will likely continue for some time :) God bless ~ Miriam

      Delete
  8. I LOVE your ending, Miriam! "Our God is just getting started." So encouraging and inspiring! This is a great way to replace sadness from Made to Crave ending with excitement for all there is to come. Thank you :)! Your food themed walk through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is much appreciated as well. I need to print that out as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're SO welcome, Candace!! You've been an inspiration to me too.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry for your incredible loss. But the joy of Jesus radiated through your post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is such a blessing. Thank you.

      Delete