Wednesday, February 5, 2014

From Pimply Prose to Perfect Peace

Perception
A poem by Miriam E. Lind (c) 2014

When you are a cherry-cheeked schoolgirl
Bouncing on crooked knees during daily circle time
And they ask you:
“What does the letter A stand for?”
Your curious eyes scan crayola walls and
Your spongy brain soaks up every image and
Your self-assured voice quickly blurts out loud
A is for “Apple” and B is for “Bat!!!”     

When you are a pimple-faced highschooler
Hiding behind classroom walls and in library books
And they ask you:
“What does the letter A stand for?”
Your sarcastic eyes roll back into your head and
Your self-absorbed brain assumes that they mock and
Your whisper is “Apple” but your insides scream
A is for “Acne” and B is for “Butter face!!”

This week in “Made to Crave”, I was struck by two chapters strictly devoted to self-image. Between Chapter 7 (I’m Not Defined by the Numbers) and Chapter 8 (Making Peace with the Realities of My Body), I found myself examining the deep-dark secrets of my physical insecurities.

Of course there’s the hair – flat and straight…refusing to hold volume or sport any kind of stylistic change.

And then there’s the BLT – yeah…that’s right. The Big Left Titty. I apologize for the vulgarity but it’s simply true. Most girls have a “bigger one”…mine is just a LOT bigger. So between the humiliation of bra-shopping or attempts to wear strapless ANYTHING…the BLT warrants its crass nickname.

But if I’m really honest…

All the way back from high school

My least favorite feature has been and still is…my A-C-N-E.

I remember psychoanalyzing every picture for traces of pimples
And trialing several types of makeup in hopes of covering the carnage
And praying…literally praying!...that the zits clear before gray hair sets in 
(“Seriously God…I don’t DESERVE that double wammy!!!)

Needless to say, I could relate to Lisa’s “Tankle” story. It made me laugh, but it also made me realize that I judge myself more than I would judge anyone else. 

And…at least when it comes to appearance…I judge myself much, MUCH more harshly than Christ.

Dear God, thank you for creating me in your image. Help me to see my life...and even my body…through the lens of your all-encompassing Grace. I need neither the naivety of grade school youth nor the spitefulness of high school. Grant me fresh eyes and a renewed mind. Don’t allow me to be contented with complacency or to lie-still in laziness. I need your strength. I need your power. I need you.

Jesus…my sweet Jesus who knows the weakness of flesh and the power of victory…give me strength to walk this journey. For it is not about size. It is not about beauty. It is not about self-exploration or even self-improvement. You have placed this path before me to draw me closer to your heart. You are calling me to make a conscious and consistent choice to follow you - even with things that seem too little…and even with things that seem too hard. Grant me your power. Grant me your peace. In Christ’s heavenly name – Amen

28 comments:

  1. I love that Jon Forman song! It's so true--we need Him to help us understand who we really are; not who we've always felt ourselves to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the accapella version of "Baptize my mind" (just search it on youtube). If you're a music lover, here's another song that was brought to mind this week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJrwpnjIskI.

      "Oh...what's the fussing all about!!!"

      No MORE MIND GAMES, Satan!!

      Delete
  2. I just laughed out loud at 5am and then to my knees in minutes. Thank you for such a raw and honest post!
    Kristy Aiken
    OBS Team Leader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'm taking people on a wild emotional roaster coaster!!! Well then, hang on for the ride and stay tuned for more updates :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your transparency. We are made perfect in our imperfections! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...if it wasn't for that blotchy skin, I'm sure I would have gotten mixed up with all kinds of "bad boys" as a young adolescent. God has His ways...

      Delete
  4. Miriam, Beautifully written, for a beautiful child of God. So true how we are our own worst critics!! Thank you from another with a warped self-image and a BFF with a BLT. We all could use a Jesus mirror to start off our days :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, you are becoming a regular here and it means so much!!! Once again, I appreciate your sweet encouragements. Good thing we DO have a Jesus mirror...His Spirit lives WITHIN us!! us. Let's pray that this process helps us both start listening to the right voices :) God bless!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful journal entry! I was also scarred by acne in high school (why was I the only girl in high school that had to have such awful acne… at least that is how I remember it). And I very much have self-image issues because of it. I also loved this chapter about accepting who I am and remember that I am beautiful because God made me. Thanks so much for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! Glad you were blessed...I feel the same way knowing I'm not alone :)

      Delete
  6. I appreciate your honesty as I too struggled with acne since middle school. In my adult life I started using Proactive, you know the stuff they sell on infomercials? It works wonders! My acne was at times physically painful and now it's gone. I still have an occasional pimple, usually on days when we are having family photos taken of course, but they are few and far between. Just thought I'd share what worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips!! I'd say the acne was better...but I literally had two mammoths surface this morning. Right of this post...of course :) A reminder to stop letting it mean so much?? lol

      Delete
  7. I love your blog post because I love humour and honesty! I too struggled terribly with acne - the shame when people told me that I needed to wash my face better! Not to mention a butt that did not seem to fit :) God has changed my heart and healed my face. Blessings to you as you continue your journey with God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you!! I LONG for a Christian community that is willing to be transparent for the sake of the Cross. Thanks for joining me in that journey!! God bless!!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHg4oAS4a_o

      Delete
  8. Like everyone else, I so enjoyed your honesty and humor. We all have those parts that we just think everyone else is as horrified with as we are. But, in truth, most people, once they get to know us, don't even really notice. Thankfully, God doesn't look at the outside, but rather on our hearts. And I'm so thankful that I can be beautiful to Him, regardless of what I see in the mirror. I'm glad that He gives us that peace so that we can boldly proclaim His name, being confident in our identity in Him! Thanks for sharing!
    ~belinda
    OBS Group 30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda! When I was reading the book...I wanted to scream at Lysa:

      God cares more about your CRAVINGS than your CANKLES!!!

      It's nice to hear the same feedback about my own insecurities. Check out the song I posted above (for Janemacdonaldcreate) if you want more encouragement for a community of honest, transparent Christians! God bless!

      Delete
  9. LOVE LOVE LOVE it Miriam! Love how honest and funny you are. You are beautiful! (And I've got the BLT thing going on as well!!) I'll never look at that *BLT* the same now. LOL God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA!!! So glad I'm not alone, Michelle :) Sisters of the BLT unite :)

      Delete
  10. Oh Miriam, people can be so cruel… I am so sorry for the pain it caused you in your past… but I am so proud of you for taking a new perspective. What a wonderfully raw and honest post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a wonderful post. I too suffer from acne. To make things worse I was raised by a single dad who didn't understand the "extra" care girls required. I didn't start treating my acne (not that anything really worked) until I started working and spent my own money. Although I do appreciate my face much more now that I have gained weight on my body. Head shots only please ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jennie. Sorry to hear those words. Hope we can both see ourselves as beautifully as Christ does!! God bless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUfJtsaqps

      Delete
  12. We all have those things about our bodies that drive us crazy. I love your BLT nickname- what a great way to find humor in it all! Beautiful prayer at the end, Miriam. Thank you for all the wonderful reminders in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the encouragement and am glad the prayers is blessings others.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your honest words, Miriam! What a great reminder for all of us the scripture from Song of Solomon that you posted- HE sees NO flaw in us! WOW! We all have things that we don't like about ourselves...and its terrible how magnified they seem in our own eyes. But what a sweet reminder of his love for us that sees no boundaries, isn't based on our flaws, our downfalls, or our feelings about ourselves. If we could only see ourselves through His eyes! Also, I really like the song! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Lindsay. I'm glad you were blessed! Your encouragement helps me stay motivated and focus on the important thing - drawing closer to Jesus!!

      Delete
  14. Miriam, I actually LOL'd! I loved your poem, such great insight into your heart. I was reading your blog and my 20 yr old son walked by and said "is that Jon Foreman?" LOL (yep, we love his music) Thanks for your awesome sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Glad you were blessed. This is one of my favorite Jon Foreman songs...though it IS hard to pick :)

      Delete